What is my ideal day, you ask? Well, it starts with a warm piece of pumpkin bread slathered in butter for breakfast, followed by a pumpkin bread mid-day snack, and then ends with large slice of pumpkin bread for dessert (warmed and topped with butter, of course). There are few things I enjoy more and that feel more like Fall than gobbling up a piece of warm pumpkin bread slathered in butter.
Now, there are many recipes on the internet claiming to be the best. A simple search on Pinterest will give you all the variations, cream cheese filled pumpkin bread, chocolate chip pumpkin bread, pumpkin bread with streusel topping, etc. But, how is one to choose? How do I know it is going to be good? I was not blessed with a tried and true family pumpkin bread recipe, so I had to go out there and get my hands dirty to find one that I liked. But I am happy to say after many years of testing, I have found/created my favorite recipe and I am here to share it with you.
The first few batches I made from recipes on the internet were a little bland. They would get better after they sat overnight, but fresh out of the oven they were kind boring. I need instant gratification, so that was not good enough for me. The search for the perfect pumpkin bread continued…
Then, this year for my birthday I got a cookbook from a restaurant that I LOVE in LA called Huckleberry ( If you haven’t been, you need to go because it is just SO delicious) and literally every recipe has been the best I’ve ever tasted. So when Fall came around, naturally I went looking for a pumpkin bread recipe. To my dismay, there was not one to be found in this cookbook. So I took it upon myself to take one of the muffin recipes as my base and make it into pumpkin bread. Crazy, I know. I was living on the edge. But guess what? IT WAS AMAZING! It was all I ever wanted! This recipe is perfect fresh out of the oven and packs a punch with the spices. I admit, maybe it wont be everyone’s favorite pumpkin bread, but to me, it is the best and is great as a loaf or as muffins. Give it a try and let me know how it compares to your tried and true recipe!
Jill’s Spiced Pumpkin Bread Recipe
3/4 cup Unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup + 2 TBS Sugar plus more for sprinkling
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup plain whole yogurt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 TBS Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your loaf pan with butter
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until nice and fluffy (1-2 minutes)
- Incorporate the eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition. Pause mixing
- Add the all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, yogurt, pumpkin puree, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Mix cautiously, just until incorporated
- Fill the loaf pan with the batter, sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until it golden brown on top and comes out clean when tested with a knife or toothpick.
You can find the pumpkin bread mold here!