Here is a secret/not-so secret: I (Jill) L.O.V.E. summer. I’m a July baby and growing up in Texas, summer is pretty much the only season you get, so you really learn to roll with it. Plus, it is the season most conducive to the activities I love most; sitting by or in a body of water & drinking a refreshing cocktail. I don’t know what I even do with my weekends in fall and winter. Maybe add a taco in there somewhere I’d have the perfect day. So with all that pool-sitting I’m doing, I also need a good book to pass the time. A pool day without a good book, is like a margarita with no salt. Very very sad.
Let me be clear here, I am not really a reader…I used to hate it when people said that, but the truth is there are people who love reading anything they can get their hands on and people who read when they find the perfect teen fiction novel. I’m more of the latter. Take me as I am, OK?
Jill’s Summer Reading List:
- The Wellness Project by Phoebe Lapin: I just started reading this last week and it is really interesting and a super easy read. It reads more like a blog than a book and is a great mix of practical health tips without being over the top. I heard about this book on a podcast I was listening to and it sounded right up my alley. The author did a year long health experiment, focusing on a different aspect of health each month (like, eliminating sugar switching to all natural beauty products, etc.) to find out which lifestyle changes truly impacted her health. Her blog tag line “Health, Hedonism, & all the delicious things in between” struck me as exactly the viewpoint I’ve been looking for.
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman— This book was recommended by almost every person I asked for a book recommendation. I am currently reading this in conjunction with The Wellness Project for fictional balance and have really enjoyed the unique writing style.
- Big Little Lies By Liane Moriarty: Another one that has been recommended by so many people, It feels like a must read.
- Where’d you go Bernadette by Maira Semple: Heard about this one on another podcast I was listening to. Also, I’m a sucker for a good cover and I thought this one was so cute.
- The Whole Thing Together By Ann Brashares: This author also wrote Sisterhood of the Traveling pants.. I feel like that is enough for me. Also, It has great reviews…
Let me know what your favorite summer reads are or if you have read some of these!