Happy April y’all! Spring is finally here and although times are weird right now, we are really enjoying the warmer temps and sunshine! Getting outside, even just to sit on the porch is so refreshing! We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, and trying to make the best of this extra time at home and with family. We know the days are long and the stir crazy is setting in, but we’re doing our best to bring fresh content and fun activities for you and your family to do together!
This flower press art is so easy to make. The finished product can be a framed piece that gets hung on the wall or placed on a shelf, or another addition to your child’s artwork on the fridge!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh flowers (This can be a fun activity in and of itself! Take a walk with your kids and find flowers to pick on a nature trail or around your neighborhood.)
- Watercolor Paper (We got ours at Michael’s. You can order online and have it shipped or use their curbside pickup option!)
- Paper towel
To make your flower press art, follow the steps below:
- Take the stems off all the flowers, but leave the base of the stem attached, or else the petals fall out. Then arrange and place the flowers face down on a piece of watercolor paper.
- Lay a paper towel over the flowers, then gently hit and press the flowers onto the paper. You’ll see the colors start bleeding through the paper towel. Some parts of the flower will not transfer as well and there will some white spots. It helps to press on those parts firmly with the hammer and smear them into the watercolor paper.
- Lift up the paper towel to see how it’s transferring. You may need to add in more flowers or keep pressing and smearing till you fill in blank spots and get the look you want.
- Remove the paper towel and flower petals from the paper.
We love the watercolor effect this creates, and we especially love that this can be both a decorative piece and a fun activity to do with your kids! Snap a photo working on your flower press art, and be sure to tag @chalkfulloflove!
How’s everyone doing? Hanging in there? It’s week two of this pandemic craziness and we’re starting to get the hang of this #stayhome thing. We hope you’re staying well and finding creative ways to spend your time! If you haven’t read our “10 Things To Do While You’re Stuck At Home” blog post, you should […]
You guys… What a crazy time we are living in. First, we just want to start out by saying that our hearts go out to everybody that is financially, emotionally, and physically affected by COVID-19. This is so hard on so many people, and our thoughts and prayers go out to anyone reading this that […]
Can you believe how fast this year is flying by already?! We’re not complaining though. March is here and we’re looking forward to all things Springtime and sunshine! Gorgeous Spring weather only lasts for what feels like a brief moment here in Austin, TX before it gets scorching hot, so we’ve got to soak it […]
The Spring Launch is here! Springtime may still be working its way here, but we like to be ahead of the curve at CFL! This collection might just be one of our very favorites yet. The new mug shapes, lettering styles, and color palette are all so good and we can’t get enough! We chose […]
Bless Hearth & Hand. Can we all agree that Target + Joanna Gaines is pretty much the most perfect combo ever to exist? We love Hearth & Hand because of the quality products and home decor at an affordable price. Plus, it came from the mind of the Design Queen, so it’s got to be […]
Valentine’s Day is almost here! Have you made plans with your Valentine yet? Booked your dinner reservation? Picked out the perfect date night outfit? Well, we’ve got you covered with one of those things! Whether you like to go glitzy and glamorous, flirty and floral, or flowy and boho, we’ve got some great picks that […]
The Valentine fun doesn’t stop around here! We’re having so much fun with creating gift guides, crafts, and party ideas for this Galentine/Valentine season! If you missed it, we’ve got a Valentine Gift Guide, Galentine Gift Guide, a Rainbow Wall Hanging craft, and a post on how to bundle your CFL mug to make the […]
We appreciate a nice bouquet of flowers and a sweet card just like anybody else, but there’s just something about a good, thoughtful, luxurious gift on Valentine’s Day that makes you feel extra loved and special! We’re alllll about the art of gift giving here, so we wanted to make an epic gift guide for […]
At CFL we love going the extra mile when it comes to gifts! Presentation is key, and we’d like to think that bundling up a cute gift is one of our specialties! For Valentine’s Day, we whipped up a few examples to give you some ideas. You can make one for a gal pal or […]